Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Risk and Creativity


How does risk go with creativity?
  Well since I am on this journey of risk right now, I thought I would mention how it also is needed in creating.  Yep, it is definitely needed in creating!  Risk shouldn't seem like such a big deal when all you are talking about is a blank canvas and some paints.  Worst case scenario, you just paint all over again.  Maybe the fact that I have had to do that soooo many times is exactly why I can become very cautious with my paint brush.
It's not only the hours of time that you put in a painting that can go down the drain with one very wrong stroke, and the tons of paint that has been splattered across your canvass, but the whole idea of this great vision that you have for a painting being destroyed.
Again, there is no guarantee when taking a risk, that it is going to work out the way that you hoped.
So with that in mind, I have been working on a new painting and let's just say I've been playing it rather safe.  I had a vision of what I wanted this painting to be and somewhat thought I knew how it should look.  However I have learned that when I stick to what I think it should be, I am more often than not disappointed with the final product.
under construction proceed with caution
So, I found myself painting very cautiously, my style was kinda lost in that.  Stepping back and looking at what I was doing, the word RISK popped into my head.  There is that word again.  That word that I have been pondering on so many levels.  Hello Risk!!
Hesitantly, I got my paint marker out and began to let it dance on my canvas! Life is so much better when you can dance.  Well, hello my style!  Glad that you showed up! You're a key ingredient to my painting.
Funny enough, I looked at the subject of what I was painting and the meaning behind it all.  Birds on branches that looked rather down in the dumps.  Why?  Because they were made to fly, and  they simply were not doing what they were made to do!  Have you ever felt stuck, knowing you were made for so much more?
Being stuck can look different in so many ways. STUCK in a place!  Dreams...STUCK!  Potential...STUCK!!  Even your true identity... STUCK, STUCK, STUCK, STUCK!  Wait a minute, I AM still talking about RISK, which is needed in my next painting again because these birds do need to fly!

And that brings me to the good part.  This painting is only part one of part two.



cheer up birds you are going to fly!

On a side note: I did not realize that painting part two (released into flight) would require another risk for me and that is I have been asked to paint in front of my church.  So, thank you risk and hello vulnerability.  To Be continued....

STUCK!
What I'll do for a blog photo...The kids loved it

A creative risk gone wrong! hello scissors time to make you into my next collage


No comments:

Post a Comment