Saturday, May 24, 2014

Gourds? What Can I Create From a Gourd?

A Gourd is a plant of the family cucurbitaceae.  The term refers to many species and subspecies, many with hard shells.  That's the Wikipedia definition.  Mine...it's some kind of hard looking plant that you can make cool things from.

Wow!   I am learning a lot from doing this blog!  Gourds were definitely not something I planned on blogging about.  But when inspiration comes, go with it!
Before Africa, I had never heard of a gourd.   I must have slept during that part of school!  My first introduction to a gourd was when I purchased one at an Africian market.  I thought I was purchasing a soup scoop.  It didn't look like your typical soup scoop and that's what I liked about it, not to mention the fact it cost me pennies.

My African friend informed me it was a gourd, that it grew locally in the field, and the Africans used it for many things.  I packed my gourd soup scoop in my suitcase and checked it through Canadian customs.  Over the years I scooped many soups with it.  Eventually it got used enough and I had to say good bye to my best soup scoop ever!   And that was the end of my gourd experience!  Until...this week!

My parents and in-laws took a trip to Pensilvania, and my mother brought me back a heart warming gift for taking care of their cat!  Guess what it was?  A gourd!  But not to be used for a soup scoop.  Apparently they make lovely bird homes and, not to mention, a nice canvas as well.   I guess she figured a gourd needed a little of my artistic flair.  Who needs a sketch book when I've got a gourd to doodle on!

My father-in-law (a born entrepreneur) saw a business opportunity at hand and purchased a packet of gourd seeds.  He plans on planting a field of them.  So it looks like I may be working in a gourd patch next spring, harvesting gourds with my paint brush and paints.
 After doing some searching around my house, I realized I have more gourds around than I thought.  These are some that have been made into instruments.  No wonder I never knew we had them.  Music is not my department.

A coat of white paint to start
Paint pen marker adding some doodles


Every gourd needs!  Some colour!
What would a gourd patch look like doodled?

So what exactly is this?
Steve using his handy tools to empty out the seeds.

Ta-dah!  It's a bird house!
I wonder what kind of bird will make his home here?

A doodle bird of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment