Saturday, May 17, 2014

Finding inspiration from a whimsical world

Whimsical: unusual, in a playful or amusing way not serious.



I have always loved whimsy! Maybe because I have come to realize I am somewhat whimsical.  I've loved looking at artwork that has a whimiscal feel to it.  Things not always painted as you would really see them.  A world of pretend that looked like fun to enter.

I never really thought of the world as whimsical.  I never really thought of nature and all its beauty as whimsical either until I really started to pay attention.  If whimsical is unusal, then what I fixed my eyes on everyday seemed pretty normal to me!  That led me to thinking, what if I had never seen nature before?  What if miraculously my eyes began to see?   Would everything look normal?  or unusual?

Putting on a new pair of $5 magnifying funky glasses, I went out and began to really look at the trees,  the branches, the flowers, the clouds, the grass, leaves and guess what?  I found whimsy in all of them. There were bends, curves, twists, lumps, and bumps, and plenty of colour coordinating.  I giggled at all  the jags and zig-zags.  It made me think of  how much fun it must of been for God to create all that he did.  I soon became aware that nature is anything but normal.  All around me there was unusual, amazing creations.  They spoke of fun and of play to my heart . This called for a whimiscal photo shoot because I am inspired to create whimsy things from things already whimsy to make something funtastical.


Off  I go on my whimsical photo shoot


Hello whimsy nest, you must be one fun bird! Thanks for visiting our yard



There almost looks like a leaf bug is hiding in this playful looking grass
This is an interesting picture that I obviously edited a little.  Steve had run across a whole farmers field to snap this while me and kids waited in the van.   I had spotted this tree from the highway and loved it's whimsy nature.  The picture itself wasn't all that clear.  But this is the outline.

Steve got in on the photo shoot and captured some cool creations






Now that's my style of tree




Normal looking leaves but what really is normal?
My favorite pic of the day! The hamburger cloud coming to invade the earth!  Could really be inspired to write stories form the clouds alone.
  Not to forget my playful whimsical little daughter, taking a picture of me while I snap one of her.
She dressed herself with her sisters purses all 10 of them.

So the question is, what to paint from all my finds?  My sketchpad is calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment