Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What Can Come From A Doodle?


I never would of thought so much could come from doodling! I always loved to doodle it was something I just did. I would often doodle when I was on the phone, watching T.V or while sitting in class.  So when my creative coach said to me start doodling everyday I happily began.  I was told just to doodle and not really think much about what I was doodling but just have fun.  I was amazed at what all came about. It went like this:
Day One:  What should I doodle? It should look something? What pictures are coming through in my doodles? What does that look like? Where is the meaning in this? Where is that deep earth shaking revelation? I feel so tense, I am not really having fun, Where do I go next.  I am was amazed at how much pressure I put on myself just to doodle.  I totally ignored the instructions of having fun and well not to think about what I was doodling? It was all I was thinking about.



My 10+year battle of trying to find my style and who I was as an artist was surfacing in my first 10 minutes of doodling.  The need to always try to figure out what I was painting really took away the freedom just to paint,  not to mention fun.  

Day Two-Seven: Continuing on with my doodles I became more aware of my thoughts and realized how much I was creating for others.  Even in my doodles who nobody was really going to see(except my creative coach) I found myself thinking they needed to look a certain way for people to like them.  I was creating for others instead of creating out of what was inside of me.  It kinda goes along with what I always thought and that was you are your very best when you are being you! nobody else but you.




Day eight:  I began my usual doodling but something happened.  I would of missed it except I loved the way it felt when I did it! I was doodling not trying to pay attention too much to what I was doing and all of a sudden one my lines went really kinda funky.  The norm kinda went out the door and I found myself in a whimsical droopy world.  I loved it! That was the beginning to finding my style! My long lost style had been found!
Letting go






2 comments:

  1. Do you know the book Praying in Color by Sybil MacBeth? She combines doodling and prayer--I have found it helpful and fun way to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't know that book but it sounds good I will look into it Thanks!

    ReplyDelete