Thursday, February 5, 2015

Print Making With Kids

My daughter loves to make cards!  She loves collecting used envelopes to re-use and then add them to her collection of cards.  So for something different I thought I would do some printmaking with the kids for a different way of making cards.  This is a fun activity that is easy for kids too, and they can repeat it over and over.  We created our own template but there are also many other things you can use to print make.  Potatoes and apples work well, or anything with a cool pattern.  I also like to encourage kids to come up with their own pattern and designs.  It gives them some freedom as well as allows them to create out of the uniqueness inside of them.


Some things you will need are foam, a pen, a brier, a plastic plate, paper or card stock, and paint.


You can use paint, however I really like to use block printing ink.  It is much thicker and applies really nice with the brier. 


I use pieces of foam with a ballpoint pen.  I press fairly hard so that what I am drawing leaves an imprint on the foam.


Why not make a doodle print. The nice thing about making a print is you can use  the template over and over trying different colours.


I like to mix more then one colour when I do a print. Here I have chosen two colours that I know will blend together nicely. I press fairly firm with my brier and cover the entire foam surface.


I then place it face down on my card stock.  Anna is helping by applying pressure on the other side.


I generally find the second print is better. The first one usually has a little too much paint on it. This is my doodle print.


Anna's requested print...Strawberry Shortcake.  We mixed yellow and pink together.


Nathan's print of Toothless from How to Train a Dragon.


Typically I like to eat these and not paint them, but I had few extra's kicking around and thought they would make some interesting prints if painted.  I used acrylic paint with a brush to make these stamps.

The grapefruit!


The apple.

The pepper!
Happy Creating! 

Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment