Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Creative Ideas For A Wonderful Winter Day With Your Kids

I will be the first to admit that I am not a winter person!  I have to drag myself outside and usually my time outdoors in the winter is very short!  So as my kids get a little older I have been making them go outside for some fresh air and have had the joy of watching them through the window.  However, I thought I needed to make myself get outside as I find their time outdoors is short-lived as well.  So I came up with some structured creative activities to enjoy the wonders of winter!


Here are some creative ideas that you can do to make for a wonderful winter day!  After bundling myself and three kids up, we walked out in knee deep snow and I encouraged my kids to see the beauty in winter.  As much as I love the white in the snow, I love even more the way bright colours pop on the snow!  So the first thing we did was to make some snowball soup!  Except the snow wasn't co-operating too well and we couldn't make snowballs.  So I piled the snow into a big hill and we had snow hill soup instead.   Still fun!!!  We poured liquid watercolours all over our snow hill. (you can also use food colouring).


What good is a time outside in the snow without making a snow angel?  I thought we would add a little creative edge to this by taking our liquid watercolour paints to outline our snow angels.   I just had the kids pour the paint straight from the bottle but I would recommend having little spray bottles that you mix your paint and water in and then have them spritz the paint out.




We looked around to see what else we could be creative with and found a few lonely pine cones hanging from our tree.  So we grabbed hold of them and decided to paint them up.  We need a few more to doodle on and we'll make them into a cool centre piece along with some fun papermache winter birds.



       

And lastly, my favourite thing to look at in the winter is the icicles!  I love the way they look.  The beautiful patterns that the icicles make as they wind and twirl is amazing.  The way they seem to be growing all around our house right now is making it look like a humble ice castle?   So I reached up high, picked some of these beautiful sculptures, and then took them inside where I needed to warm up!  I filled a glass fish bowl with snow, arranged my icicles like a flower bouquet and then poured liquid watercolours over them.  They looked really cool!  Kind of like coloured glass.  Too bad they melted so fast and didn't last!   But they would have made a nice centre piece for a winter picnic...except I don't do winter picnics!



So there you have it!  A few chilly creative activities!  Of course after our time of winter creating we came inside and warmed up with popsicles!  Have a wonderfully creative wintery day!

Trish


No comments:

Post a Comment