Thursday, March 19, 2015

Staying True To Your Own Style

Maybe it's just the sunshine we have been experiencing lately, but I have been in the mood to paint. So much so that I could have easily cleared the art store out of canvas.   I have sketch book after sketch book full of ideas and paintings just waiting to happen.  This week I did two simple ideas came to mind.  For me, I love when I can find a meaning in what I paint and I also love how often others have their own interpretation as well.  I always say art is the one universal language that can speak to anyone.

Trying to stay true to my style, I set out to paint these two new paintings.  However, while painting them I found some of my old mindsets trying to set in again.  I had to battle them and let's just say it wasn't easy.  What do I mean by old mindsets?  I began to think about what I thought people would like to see on my canvas.  I began to look on the internet for inspiration (which for me is a big mistake). While looking, I seem to loose my unique style and instead try make things look like what I see.  In the process of that,  I start feeling really frustrated and it steals the joy of painting.  So once again I knew I needed to turn the computer off and look through my daily doodles instead for inspiration.  Let me just be clear... if you look on the net for your inspiration I am not putting that down.  People get inspired from other people's work all the time and I believe we are made to inspire one another.  I just can't do that.

As I began to let my style come out through my doodles I began to feel much better about what I was painting.  There is a lot that goes into planning a painting.  Not just the idea of the painting, but how to compose a painting.  How to make it look balanced and pleasing to they eye.  What colours work together and having proper perspective.  Maybe at later date I will blog more on composing a painting but for now here are the two new paintings I have created.  Enjoy!

Free to fly

Free to fly 
fly to the sky
Nothing holding back
Breaking free from that shack

Beat to your own drum

Beat to your own drum
Don't just let the crowd lead you
Nothing new will ever come
If you don't try something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment