Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Status Quo...NOT!


I recently took my kids to the theatre to see the movie The Penguins of Madagascar.  I love to watch movies and my kids are no exception.  We have an extended collection of kids movies on our shelves.   Even though if I had my pick I would have chosen an adult flick, I am often pleasantly surprised when a children's movie just kinda grips your heart.  I have many times sat on my couch watching a movie with the kids to hear the inspirational music they play (you know the kind). The kind that makes you believe that you can do anything!  And I sit back holding back the tears thinking this is stupid, this is just a kids movie.

So once again I was pleasantly surprised when the very first scene of the movie Penguins of Madagascar opened and it began to speak to me.  So much so that I thought this is a blog post! Hence the post today!

 A must at the movies. I love to pour the m&m's into the popcorn.
Scene1: The penguins are all in a line in Antarctica and they are following the next penguin ahead of them in the formation. Three cute and cuddly penguins (Skipper, Rico, and Kowalski) kind of get out of line. They notice an egg rolling down a hill in danger.  Mentioning it to the other penguins, they all stay in their line stating it is safe in line but unsafe out there, and the reality is a few eggs don't make it.

The three penguins decide to break formation and the status quo and go after the egg. This begins their great adventure.  After rescuing the egg, it hatches and Private is born. Sorry for all who haven't seen the movie if I've ruined the opening part for you, but that is only the first 5 minutes.  There still is 80 more minutes of adventure to watch.

For me, as I watched this scene I could feel emotion building up in me as a saw a parallel being made between my life and the movie.  I saw the formation of penguins as the status quo and what everyone typically does...following the leader and playing it safe.  I could  feel momentum rising up in me as I saw the penguins get out of line and go for the adventure, go out into the unknown and sometimes unsafe places.  The line (status quo) in my life is also called comfortable.  But one thing I have come to realize, being comfortable doesn't make me fulfilled.  I love the part in the movie when they went out to save an egg that may have otherwise died.  I think of that with others as well.  Sometimes stepping out to help someone else may lead to an adventure you didn't plan, but the outcome of helping someone can be so great!

The movie continues and the penguins get themselves into adventure after adventure and end up....(not going to tell).  It really made me ponder my life and ask myself where have I settled for what the status quo is?  Because,  I believe none of us were made for just the status quo!  We were made for so much more.....( I hear a swichfoot song coming on).  We were made to make a difference and to have a life of adventure.  To break formation and go after what is in your heart!  As artists and creatives, we are meant to set the trends.  Do you create what everyone else does or are you willing to step out of the line of familiar and create something that comes from deep within?  I have decided that 2015 is not going to be about following the status quo but stepping towards what I believe God has put into my heart.  SO, I challenge YOU to do the same!  You can do it because you were made for more!!  No matter where you have been or what you have done, God has a plan and purpose for your life and it is good!  Where are you staying in formation when you need to get out of the line?  What is your status quo?
Be blessed Trish
I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.
Inspired by the movie a doodle began and turned into a painting
A reminder to me to live the adventure of life

No comments:

Post a Comment